Then and Now: Public Golf Course

Scroll down to view slides and text | Background | Back to Then and Now Main Page

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

THEN…

The Vancouver Exhibition Association (VEA) saw the golf course as a means of encroaching on the forest in Hastings Park. Lands initially cleared for golfing were expropriated for exhibition facilities (buildings, etc). More land would then be clearcut to reconfigure the golf course. The golf course, therefore, served as a vehicle for expansion of the exhibition facilities.

NOW…

After the completion of the Empire Stadium for the 1954 British Empire Games, the remaining golf course and driving range was converted to the current parking facilities, seen above.

Back to Then and Now Main Page