Then and Now: Camping Facilities

Scroll down to view slides and text | Background | Back to Then and Now Main Page

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

THEN…

As a condition of its 1923 lease for Hastings Park, the Vancouver Exhibition Association (VEA) was required to build and maintain an auto camp (campground). The VEA considered the campground an imposition and maintained it only to secure an early lease renewal from the city.

The campground was closed in October 1925. City Council did not pursue the VEA’s legal obligation to continue operating the campground facilities according to the terms of the 1923 lease requirements.

NOW…

Today, the former campground area has become an urban blight. It has become the industrial dump for the racetrack and PNE, as seen above.

Back to Then and Now Main Page

Advertisements