On September 28th, the Park Board will be voting once again whether or not to erect the “Home and Away” slide (ride) masquerading as “art” sculpture at Empire Fields.
We had raised issue with this sculpture proposal before, as it seemed to have been planned without any input whatsoever from the community. Apparently, the Park Board thinks it will pass this time because they did a consultation with 35 people at Library Square in July, and got a favourable result; then the community was also “consulted” in an ad hoc manner during the Empire Fields/Plateau Park opening event in the summer (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/09/controversial-art-approved-hastings-park/), which we do not think is sufficient to approve such a significant installation in our community.
We encourage you to e-mail to all Park Board Commissioners, and particularly the liaison commissioners for the Hastings-Sunrise area, Stuart McKinnon (also @betterparks on Twitter) and Erin Shum (also @erinyvr on Twitter), as well as city council (or see a full list of individual councillor e-mails here) as soon as possible as the vote will be on Monday, September 28th.
Contact local government:
Mayor Gregor Robertson: email@example.com
– George Affleck: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Elizabeth Ball: email@example.com
– Adriane Carr: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Melissa De Genova: email@example.com
– Heather Deal: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Kerry Jang: email@example.com
– Raymond Louie: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Geoff Meggs: email@example.com
– Andrea Reimer: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Tim Stevenson: email@example.com
Park Board Commissioners: PBcommissioners@vancouver.ca